Little Love

by - February 14, 2021



Her mouth is on my cheek
and I smile hello at her cherubic face, roaming eyes
completely unaware of what kisses mean

but she does it anyway,
maybe because it reduces me to a grinning fool.

He hugs my legs, and says “hi” without looking up,
A world of giants and toy trucks and eyes that light up
with childish glee and chocolate.

Perhaps I am not so old after all,
in my sweatshirt sixteen years.

Honesty, honestly, I marvel at how emotions
flicker on their faces without hesitation or second thought.

Goodbyes are more or less the same, but bittersweet;
I can’t tell if I feel older or younger, now.

An endless repeat-after-me of bye and I love you’s
Well trained to be cute and loving, I’ve always thought

But as her face lights up when we laugh, and he screams
I LOVE YOU’s by the door, into the chill night

It occurs to me that maybe their little hearts are simply open enough
to carry us all.



You May Also Like

0 comments