Apple Skin

by - April 29, 2021


I wish for apple skin sunsets for you,
and may the fairies bless you with blueberry stars,
a bruised hue of battered pride and midnight.

Lined with lace, the conjurings of our taste buds
and cool sink water on fingertips as I write.

I've never been good at stitching, but I take the tiny
hotel kits and sew red buttons onto my desk,
the two extras that came with the new coat Grandma
bought me last Chinese New Year's.

My hair is tangled into forget me knots.
Was I supposed to remember, or were they?
The flowers are just pretty now, if we both forgot anyway.

Ergo, we fancy ourselves philosophers as the bathtub drains
and consider how we know we're sentient, if knowing is enough.

I can feel the tears on my cheeks, see God
pinching a pipette to drop it hastily on my cheek
while my eyelashes flicked closed for a century, a second.

So don't laugh at the cows, they're the best of us –
sleeping, blinking beauties, by the rice paddies.

Milk and apple skin, strong bones and sewing pins
that prevent age from wrinkling at the corners,
from dragging its lips to the tired spots of our skin,
hiding berry breath in every soft fold.

Blueberry crepes, unpeeled apples, sink water droplets –
this is a mother's recipe for beauty,

and for breakfast.



posted on: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/39825 & Daily Read

Hello! It's been 4 months since I last posted, but it's kind of refreshing to be back. I've been keeping up a resource site called Sprouting Ink of the late and haven't really devoted any time to Late Luminescence, unfortunately. I do, however, hope to make up for lost time! As opposed to posting every single thing I write though, I'll just be posting my favorites. I also have two pieces being prepped for publication, so I'll make posts for those whenever they are released. This place is pretty much deserted now, but it feels almost like starting from scratch. Clean, taintable. *sigh*

If someone is somehow reading this though, take care & stay safe! Have a great day :)

~Amaryllis

You May Also Like

2 comments