Refrozen: "I've been trying not to think about it, but I can't help it"

by - November 06, 2021

photo: sunset and phone lines silhouette in Arcadia, CA 

11/6/21: "I've been trying not to think about it, but I can't help it"

Refrozen
I can't help but huff a small laugh
As I bask in the fog while you run away
--straight into another stranger.

We are strangers too, your back reminds me.

And yet, I can pull out my phone to say,

"hey"

"yeah"

"that was awkward"

Because I know you, and we know absolutely nothing.

I've been trying to do things without reason,
you know, just because.

I fish around my pocket for my coupons of courage,
and watch your retreating figure do the same.

The crisp day raises an eyebrow at the checkout line,
so we quickly pull out our bills of silence, rumpled soft.

Which is really to say we pull out our earbuds and our phones,
and plug into something that will make the loss feel less lonely.

Ice refrozen is harder to break than before.
And, our courage at 7 am is well,

sleepy~

You May Also Like

0 comments