Penny Picker-Upper

by - April 07, 2020

photo: my bedroom floor haha

I've been tossed in tip jars

by soft manicured hands
Flung into fountains
by whispering dreamers

Hundreds of footsteps
Trekked along the sidewalk
All of their owners
Too busy bustling 
To take the time to pick up
A mere penny

Abandoned on the pavement
The scorching rays of sun
made my copper glow
And there I sat
waiting

Until one day
a little girl spotted 
Abe Lincoln's shiny head
and saw treasure

Pinched between chubby fingers
An ebullient smile
Presented to a mother
I felt brand new again

The lady patted her head,
Sweetie, how wonderful
And my little girl
Was over the moon

A lucky penny
She murmured reverently
And I felt love 
emanating off of her

watching and listening
the very next day
from a snug jean pocket
Daddy, Daddy

Was met with a horrible silence
and dismissed 
by the wave of a beer bottle
It was the first time I tasted
Salty rain

She whimpered in the closet
Fisting me in a grubby palm
And I willed the mother to come
and make the downpour stop
But the closet stayed dark 

I was soon slipped
into a ceramic pig's belly
a lonely clink at the bottom
echoing
but soon enough, others came
coins with stories like mine
pinging against one another

When it was starting
To get quite cramped
The darkness was smashed
Our prison was dead
And light flooded in

Crazed eyes
And greedy paws
Grabbed handfuls of my friends 
and stuffed them in tattered pockets
E PLURIBUS UNUM
left among the shards
of broken ceramic

Soon enough
A young woman with
Dim eyes, barely there
Kneeled by the pink fragments
And sobbed into filthy hands

Until her eyes caught 
a flash of copper
amid her shattered dreams
And cool metal kissed 
warm, callused hand

Once more, I stared into 
the tear-streaked face
Of my little girl
Now, all grown up

She smiled at me wistfully
Silent tears slipping down her face
And I was once again
Clutched in her sweaty palm
Held against her chest
while she remembered

Her hot breath told me 
of a father's drinking problems
and a loving mother long gone
how there was no more money 
and hunger gnawed a hole in her stomach

Oh, lucky penny I am!
I wailed bitterly to myself
As she ran a nail along LIBERTY 
I yearned to give her more
Than "IN GOD WE TRUST"

How I wished then
that I were not 
A useless copper penny
who could not even buy
a morsel to eat 
Instead I longed to be
a crisp, green bill 
for her
my penny picker-upper

(NOTE: E PLURIBUS UNUM means "out of many, one" and is printed on the tails side of a penny)


You May Also Like

0 comments