Dragon Dagger

by - June 22, 2020


A dragon wrapped around the hilt

I can still feel the coil of its tail
wrapped around my wrist
Ready to pounce at any second
crimson rubies poised to spill from her maw
as it grasps her prey in black talons

opal scales layered
one on top of another
silver, because gold was
too traumatic for her
and because I met her
curled up, shrouded by moonlight

even then, sooty and bedraggled
she could've never been plain iron
no, she is a diamond in the rough
I was unfortunate enough to find
but lucky enough to love

Sobbing, thick stories weaved of stars
she was good at hiding the seams
begged for a knife to protect her
from all the men who would hate her
and so because I loved her
I forged the blade

Black diamonds for eyes
The pair of them, a starless sky
And the blade was forged from meteors
Falling stars of my blood, sweat, and tears
ink and oil with no reflection

When I saw her eyes gaze upon it,
I saw the love swimming in her eyes
An embrace, and she was mine
That evening, we named it 夜
watching the phoenix sun die
and my silver dragon rose

We were happy that day
and for many more after that

at least, that the future I chose
but never got to live
because the silver dragon disappeared
and reappeared in her fist
I've never known how to pick a rose
without avoiding the thorns
ruby red rained, rushing rivers roared

and the last time I ever saw the dagger
I had crafted with so much love
was embedded in my chest
just missing my heart
somehow, filled with so much vile & hate


You May Also Like

0 comments